When it comes to Miss Marnie’s bedroom she really doesn’t have an awful lot of space to play with. Her tiny room just about holds her bed, wardrobe, chest of drawers and her wooden market.
So, when George Home got in touch and asked us to take part in a Children’s Bedroom Makeover Challenge – where we let the kids create their dream bedroom all for under £400 – I figured this could be a good chance to ‘test’ myself in what could be done in her small space.
To be honest I do feel like I have made the best of the space – using the doorway (that one connected to another room) as a built in bookcase, using zip-up bags for under bed storage and containing the toys in a large chest in the hallway.
I also think most importantly keeping the background simple – an unfussy bed, neutral curtains, a slightly more grown-up lampshade and plain carpet – make for easy updates.
This meant that I approached the challenge set by George Home to create your child’s ‘dream’ bedroom using their ideas, likes and imagination – as just that, a makeover. A way to brighten up her space instantly.
I sat with Miss M and we looked through George Home online and I let her point out some things she liked – she seemed to be drawn to the mermaid room set. This also got her talking about her favourite book and movie – so, her mood board came together pretty quickly.
|George Home Mermaid themed room|
I decided to try my own version of the mermaid room – as although George Home make it easy for you to buy a complete look – I wanted to add a more personal touch and of course, think about the items growing with Miss M as she gets older.
And, luckily the vast offering at George Home means it’s easy to create the perfect space – and all within budget too.
What do you think?
1. Love the colour of this bed – as does Miss M. Perfect for an underwater theme.
2. How cute is this nightlight?
3. Plain reversible bedding in a watery shade sticks to the theme but means no character bedding.
4. Who wouldn’t fall into a blissful sleep listening to the sounds of the sea?
5. As the bedding is plain we can add fun with this shaped cushion…
6. And, add some extra colour with this inexpensive printed throw.
7. This may be from the Pirate section but this crab can almost double for Sebastian the Lobster from The Little Mermaid.
8. This was Miss M outfit of choice – of course.
9. How chic is this mermaid tray for all those (plastic) trinkets.
10. Perfect for any mermaid in-training.
11. Miss M loves playing on the floor so as excited about these large floor cushions – she said she will have a tea party underwater!
12. Again from the pirate section – but this chest doubles up as storage for mermaid treasures (toys).
13. Miss M wanted fish in her ‘dream’ mermaid bedroom – these ceramic ones make great ornaments or even light bookends.
14. This cute money box from the mermaid collection was Miss M’s favourite piece – and ideal for all this coins.
15. Wall stickers are a fast and simple way to get the look with no re-decorating.
16. This bedside cabinet is the perfect place for the money box or nightlight – but the open front makes an ideal spot for an underwater setup. How great would it look with the mermaid or fish ornaments in?
17. A grown-up ornament maybe – but I would probably let Miss M paint this for fun before putting on display in the cabinet above.
** And, see below how we managed with the £400 budget (a little bit left over for a bottle of wine for me after all that ‘online’ shopping don’t you think?)
All items are available from a selection at George Home
V. I. BE HONEST: This is an entry into the George Home Children’s Bedroom Challenge Competition. Find out more information here
I love the mermaid look, and the way you've toned it down a bit. Isn't the George furniture great? Love that Aqua bed frame x
Love your ideas such a nice little theme! xx
Ooh thats fab and I love ho it is more of a great base so it is not to sickly good luck Bon I love your entry and this is the perfect mermaid bedroom x
oh my word it is absolutely beautiful you have done an amazing job, I love it