“What do you want for your birthday?”
“Can you give me a list of what you want for your BIG birthday?”
“Any ideas for your birthday?”
“Shall we just give you money for your birthday this year?”
These are just some of the questions I have been asked over the last few weeks as my big 40th approaches.
The thing is – and I don’t want this to sound ungrateful – there is actually nothing I need…or really, really want.
OK – there is of course things I want but massive things like a new house, a new bathroom, a long haul holiday, some sleep…. when it comes down to actual gifts I really couldn’t think of anything.
To be honest I have a weekend away planned with friends, a few drinks with NCT and school friends and some family meals and that really is all I want. Time with people to enjoy this milestone birthday.
Then when I was asked these questions again by a friend of mine Suzanne at KidStyleJunkie – and I , again said there was nothing I really wanted – she challenged me to find 40 things I did want! HA
Not one to turn down a challenge I thought long and hard about what I really would like and my wish list as you see before you was born.
Some are crazy and some are simple, some are never-going-happen and some may mean a lot of saving up. Either way its made me realise there is always something you want if you think hard enough – even if they are the stuff of dreams!
Who knows maybe they will help you if you’re being asked the same questions or looking for a gift for someone who ‘doesn’t want anything!’
1. To live in Palm Springs. With a pool. And, spend the day in a kaftan and turban sipping cocktails like a Slim Aarons photo. That is what I really, really want!
2. Little drops of heaven these Creamed Caramel Chocolate Puddles £5.50 Hotel Chocolat are not made for sharing.
3. I’ve wanted a cocktail trolley or bar cart for a while, and had been lusting after one from here for ages (I brought an alternative on eBay but it wasn’t really what I had hoped when it arrived) then I spotted this Luxe Drinks Trolley £350 Oliver Bonas
4. I have yet to try a Charlotte Tilbury lippy and Coachella Coral £23 is calling me…
6. I’ve been lusting after these Tara heels £109 Boden for a while (in fact they are sat in my online basket as I type just waiting for me…)
7. This delicate 9ct gold initial coin necklace is one of the nicest I have seen £250 Laura Lee
8. I’m a bit obsessed with balsamic vinegar – and believe me this matured sweet, sticky, syrupy one is the BEST ever and worth every penny (it lasts for ages too and you don’t need much to get a rich taste) £19.95 Carluccios
9. I had a classic pair of Ray Bans Aviators that when Miss Marnie was a toddler she was playing with in the pushchair (you’ll give them anything to keep them quiet) big mistake, she dropped them and I didn’t realise for a few days and they were never to be seen again! Aviator sunglasses from £125 Ray-Ban
10. The first of many Chanel wish-list items – but this is one book I don’t yet have on the iconic designer. Coco Chanel: The Illustrated World of a Fashion Icon by Megan Hess £12.95
11. I love vintage Airstream trailers – I mean how cool are they? Failing ever owning one (I really would love one!) the next best thing would be a quirky little holiday in one from Vintage Vacations
12. I actually brought this Chanel mirror compact for a friend recently and at the time thought ‘you know what I would like one of these too’ Chanel Miroir Duo £23.40 Debenhams
13. My caffeine addition has reached news levels of late (threenager toddler sleeping issues, working into the night, early mornings…) I discovered how amazing these coffee machines are at an event recently. Not so much as want, as need one Magimix Coffee Machine £199 Nespresso
14. Without doubt my favourite bath product of all time – used in the tub or neat on the skin nothing comes close to this milky emulsion and dreamy scent. Skin Nourishing Milk Bath £43 Elemis
15. I first spotted a Moroccan Wedding blanket at a hotel in Palm Springs whilst on our honeymoon – and really should have brought one by now. Wedding blanket from a selection at Etsy
16. I’m not really big on fancy boxes of chocolates – I will take a bar of Cadbury Fruit & Nut
anytime (a family bar of course!) from £1.50
17. I don’t wear a lot of jewellery on a daily basis apart from my wedding rings – so an eternity ring is high on my list. I need a really slim one to suit my rings and this is the neatest one I’ve found. Skinny Eternity Ring £215 Monica Vinader
18. By far my favourite candle Baies Candle full stop from £20 Diptyque Paris
19. This is no ordinary handbag. This is an Olympus PEN camera bag (that I first mentioned here) – and I need this to protect my camera and of course, how stylish is it too?
Shoulder Bag £79.99 Olympus
20. One thing I hate doing is drying my hair. I would love a Blow Dry voucher or even more a voucher for several blowouts throughout the year, from £28 Hershesons Blow Dry Bar
21. Afternoon Tea at Claridges. End of. From £58
22. Although, I want the Olympus PEN camera bag above – I really want this buttery and vintage style camera body jacket and strap too… Olympus
23. My commuter cup has seen better days. This one looks pretty slick and more importanly…
super sized. Travel cup £20 Bodum
24. Yes. Chanel again, notice a pattern here? I love the new nail polish colours that launch every season and always try and get my hands on at least one must-have shade! £18 Chanel
25. A stylish wicker basket bag is the holy grail of summer style and this Edit 58 personalised one is top of my list (and I think I may be the only person who doesn’t have one according to Instagram!)
£56 Edit 58
26. I like nothing better than getting home and putting on my pyjamas but they could probably do with a glam update. These are gorgeous, if out of my budget. Olivia Von Halle Lila Dunaway silk pyjama set £350 Selfridges
27. I am a massive fan of Aromatherapy Associates and like to have this set of the miniature bottles to hand at all times – they smell divine and really do work. Miniature Bath & Shower Oil Collection £39 Aromatherapy Associates
28. One Chanel item I actually really, really want is a vintage interlocking double C’s brooch. I am on the hunt…
29. Vodka and raspberry. Cheers! Absolut Raspberri Vodka £19.50 Waitrose
32. One restaurant that has been on my ‘must eat’ list for a while now… Burger & Lobster
33. The ‘IT’ jumper I never got the first time round but thankfully this cult knit is still available – at a price Bella Freud Ginsberg is God merino wool jumper £280 Selfridges
34. No ordinary slipper. I love a slipper and these ones with debatable soles, collapsible heel
(for easy slip on) and a lining that avoids overheating prove ‘comfort is now beautiful’
Classic slipper £59 Mahabis
35. Hawaii. I just really want to go here like now.
36. A bunch of flowers would be lovely no matter what. But I think the real treat would be a floral subscription – I mean flowers every month for a few months how amazing would that be? from £55 for 3 months Bloom & Wild
37. This was always the cake of choice for office birthdays when I was at Now magazine. So, its been a while since I’ve had a dreamy slice of Curly Whirly Cake from £28 Konditor & Cook
38. Promise last Chanel (well, I am at no. 38!) I may already have 2 classic Chanel Bags – a black
large style one and a mini red one but there’s always room for a navy one, right? Iconic 2.5 Bag from
39. One dream I have is to be up close to a tiger or tiger cub – I mean they are just big cats! I think if this ever happened I might actually cry… although I’m not even sure if you can do this as I strongly despise the thought of mistreated or drugged animal to allow this to happen.
40. A trip in a Hot Air Balloon has always seemed like an exciting, retro and somewhat romantic idea. Maybe one day. From £99 Ballooning