Well, for a few days anyway.
This beautiful, picture-perfect cottage in the Cotswold’s was to be our home from home as part of a fantastic project by Matalan.
Inviting journalists down to not only see its new collection but to live with it too!
Here’s a little peek….
The higgledy-piggledy 4-bedroom ‘Roman Cottage’ had been decked from top to bottom and inside and out with the new Matalan home wares. With each room styled in various themes from the spring/summer collection.
From the bright ‘Matalan’ red door to the pre-lit bay trees in the garden and the inviting cushions and throws on the ‘sink into’ sofa and chairs to the robes and slippers hanging in the upstairs closet ready to make us feel at home.
At the ‘heart of the cottage’ – was the large kitchen that was set and ready for dinner. The simple Matalan crockery, glassware and linens could easily have been mistaken for ‘designer pieces’ and I was overjoyed to see all the chopping boards hanging above the Aga were from yes, you guessed it – from Matalan.
I’ve a few of these platter/serving style boards at home – and they’re nowhere near as nice as these. They made the perfect garden picnic trays too.
The master bedroom and en-suite featured the new Scandi collection – simple and minimal pieces in a mixture of charcoal greys, cream and mustard yellow.
From the soft bedlinen the the fluffy towels and bathmats it was like stepping into a boutique hotel.
Honestly, if I hadn’t known everything was Matalan – I wouldn’t of believed it. I made a mental note to hit the bedlinen/bathroom department soon and update my tired sheets and towels at home.
The other bedrooms were dressed in neutral tones and again piled with cushions (definitely a female thing – Mr VIB hates all our cushions but they make everything so homely!).
The room that also caught my eye was the Seascape themed one – hazy blues, turquoise and corals mixed with seaside prints for an easy coastal charm. It gave the room such a calming atmosphere and taps into my pipe dream of a house by the sea!
The standout room for Miss Marnie though – was the playroom.
How I wish we had a playroom at home! Stocked with games, toys, DVDS, books, beanbags and dressing up outfits – this room is every kids dream.
The fab chests and boxes were great for storage and easy tidy-ups – and the lovely sea grass and wicker ones meant they weren’t an eyesore for parents.
We had such a wonderful stay and spend some quality family time together – the amazing furnishings, the sunny weather, peaceful location and blossom filled garden overlooking the local farm and cows made for a memorable – and of course, very stylish stay.
All in all – I have to say its really opened my eyes to the treasures of #MatalanHome and ideas on how to create the perfect family home.
Thanks #MatalanHome – when can we move in for real?
Here’s my top 10 favourite pieces from the new collection:
1) Stack of 4 porcelain mugs £8 TIP – Saves on cupboard space
2) Grand chenille throw £15 TIP – Have a stack of these rolled up in a basket in the lounge for those colder nights or popcorn and movie Sundays
3) Sunray mirror £40 LOVE This is my FAVE piece!
4) Glass jar candle in gift box £6 LOVE The cottage was dotted with lanterns and candles to give a homely feel and I have to say they not only look more expensive than they are – they smell amazing!
5) Diagonal Cruell cushion £12 LOVE – This is a colour palette I love – but have yet to try. Redecorate anyone?
6) Paper tray £5 – TIP These were dotted around and great for picking up magazines/newspapers, toys, laundry….
7) Wooden chopping board £6 TIP As I mentioned above – brilliant quality. Lots of shapes and sizes to choose from – stock up these are fab.
8) Ultra absorbent micro loop bath mat £8 LOVE Exciting choice? No, I admit not really – but essential as the best bath mat I have ever stepped on – seriously! Soft, squashy and most importantly with a toddler – non-slip
9) Decal floral print ceramic storage jars £6 each LOVE Orla Kiely inspired – these retro jars will add some style to any kitchen.
10) Set of 2 natural storage trunks £60 – LOVE These were in the playroom filled with games and toys – but I would happily have them in any room around the house.
When was the last time you took a good look at #MatalanHome?