Once you’ve had a baby you can’t imagine what your life was like before. Even though I wouldn’t change it for the world – I wondered what I actually missed from my BBL a.k.a BEFORE BABY LIFE.
Once I wrote the list I realised they were all kinda superficial, not really that important or just plain selfish.
Now, I love a bit of ‘me-time’ or alone time as much as the next person but my life is definitely better ABL a.k.a AFTER BABY LIFE.
I have learnt and gained so much (along with a little extra weight and dark circles!) – and I’m glad to say all good things. I’ve realised my life is soooo much better because of this crazy club we call MOTHERHOOD.
I MISS BBL (BEFORE BABY LIFE)…
1) Sleeping in. Full stop.
2) Going out on the spur of the moment – be it with friends or my husband. Everything now has to be planned and/or the early bird special!
3) Beauty treatments – especially going for indulgent pedicures and manicures. I still go for them – just not as often and mainly do them at home now when Miss Marnie is in bed.
4) Finishing a hot drink while it is still you know hot.
5) Reading. I can’t actually remember the last book I read. And, I’m sad about this as I love reading but I think its more of a time/attention span issue than a baby issue. I guess I read lots of kids books now and can re-read books from my childhood too which is a plus.
6) Watching TV box sets back to back. I have loads stacked up now (Downton Abbey, Dexter, Thirtysomething, Call the Midwife) – I will get to them one day.
7) Wallowing in a hangover. You know lying in bed, eating junk food, watching bad TV and not moving all day. Now I have no time for a hangover. I did have one a few weeks back after I thought it was a good idea to finish the bottle – lets just say the next day wasn’t fun!
8) High heels. After months of flats I can’t seem to walk in them anymore.
9) Real Me-Time. You know the ‘me-time’ when you do exactly what you want, whenever you want, however you want. Not this new ‘mummy me-time’ where you have to pre-plan free time to go and do things that you have to do (haircut, manicure, shop, make a phone call…)
10) Doing all the housework in a few hours on a Saturday morning and it staying clean for a few hours at least! Yes, I was one of those people who loved getting up and doing a big clean – and because it was just Mr VIB and I it pretty much stayed clean all week. Now, I can’t ever complete one task fully. And, as for it staying clean/tidy – I have a toddler who sees that never happens.
I have gained ABL (AFTER BABY LIFE)…
1) More patience. Well, a little more than I ever had before anyway.
2) An understanding of why mums end up on that peak bus/train. You have a baby, they need feeding/changing/soothing and that makes you miss those more ‘buggy friendly’ travel times. Now I think so what I have paid my fare – and my partner in crime comes with her own seat!
3) I’m less selfish (I hope…) My time is Miss Marnie’s time. I don’t care if I miss my favourite show, a night out, she eats the last biscuit – really I don’t!
4) The joy in seeing things for the first time through a child’s eye is beyond words.
5) A real love of the baby aisle in the supermarket or chemist. More rows to shop and more things to buy. Yeah!
6) Seeing my husband be a dad – nothing beats that. Period.
7) How much more I can get done in a day. Well, not the housework I admit – but we can be up and out, been to toddler group and even done some shopping before lunch. The only thing I used to do before lunch was breakfast!
8) I can indulge in my love of crafts – glue, stickers, colouring, art attack – and call it ‘messy play’.
9) Other mums. The support, advice, knowing nod when your toddler is having a meltdown or just a smile and a helping hand down the stairs are all things that only other mums understand.
10) Unconditional love. Now I know the true meaning.
What do you miss BBL (Before Baby Life) and what have you gained ABL (After Baby Life)?
Such a sweet post … life is so different after a baby but for the better. : )
Thanks Leyla – I totally agree! x
Ha ha, yep, I relate to everything in your list. Wore my biggest heels last weekend and was hobbling after about five minutes! Yep, life has changed but I wouldn't change it for the world. #thelist
Me either! I love my flats anyway xx
Such a gorgeous post lovely! I agree with every point. I think for me the main things I miss are sleep and having 'me' time, to get a haircut etc (without having to pacify a crying Baby while the hairdresser snips away! Thanks for much for linking up to #TheList x
Thank you! I know sleep is the one thing I miss the most ha ha xx
Lovely post. I really do miss the spontaneous nights out though. #thelist
Thank you! I know all the planning takes the fun out of it a bit- but I guess its something to look forward to and you enjoy your nights out even more so x
Yep yep yep – and heels? I walk like a man in drag for the first five minutes. Not a good look! And wallowing. I miss wallowing
Such a lovely post! and loved reading it as we are about to start a family!
I wrote a post recently about the things I missed since having a baby, mainly being time alone, quiet, being able to leave the house quickly, etc!! But I wouldn't change it for the world and prefer my ABL much more! 🙂