|La Redoute Spring 2014|
The corner stone of every elegant woman’s wardrobe is The Classics.
These are the items that never date. No matter what’s in fashion these simple pieces are the foundation to every great outfit – and are worth investing well in. For the modern mummy they make dressing easy and by throwing in a few fashionable items each season – jewellery, coloured seperates and accessories – you can give them a fresh feel year after year.
The classics being a white shirt, jeans, a Trench coat, a little black dress, striped tee, ballet pumps, a blazer, Cashmere knits and so on. And, no one does the ‘classics’ better than the French (think vintage Brigitte Bardot and Coco Chanel or modern day Audrey Tautou and Clémence Poésy).
Why not take some inspiration and discover the secrets the flawless French style for yourself with this mini style guide by La Redoute?
This then got me thinking – why not use this tried-and-tested fashion formula for Miss Marnie and other little girls? Now, I’m not suddenly going to start dressing her like a ‘grown-up’ but I really can see the logic in ‘foundation’ pieces.
Just think of it as a mini capsule collation of pieces that will work in with all their other colourful, girly and seasonal bits. This will make light work getting them ready for nursery, play dates, special occasions and days out.
Here’s my pick of the ‘Classics’ worth investing in for your VIB:
- Converse All Stars £34.99 Office A mama staple and great for your little one too. Worn with jeans, shorts, dresses, pinafores – well anything really.
- Skinny jeans £9.99 H&M No kids wardrobe is complete without some jeans – work them the same as you would your own. Dress them up (with pretty blouses and pumps) or dress them down (with t-shirts and trainers.) I prefer skinny styles or boys jeans for Miss Marnie – I can’t bear jeans with prints, motifs or ‘girly’ embellishments.
- Kids + stripes = always works. Mix with denim, cargo’s, chinos and even florals – can any kid afford to be without a striped Tee? I’m forever on the search for a great Breton for Miss Marnie and this Stripe Breton £12 Topshop Mini is my faves this season.
- Now, even I think a LBD is a little much for a little one. But, a LND (little navy dress) is perfect. This Linen dress £29 Cyrillus at La Redoute is great for special occasions but still casual enough to play in. Just put a long sleeved stripe or coloured top underneath and add some sandals and your mini is good to go.
- Miss Marnie is a little young for her first trench coat but I think girl 3+ looks fab in them. I mean what is more stylish? I posted a French inspired fashion round-up with a pict of a little girl in her trench here – she is the daughter of the Editor-in-Chief at French Vogue Emmanuelle Alt. Need I say more? I love this Trench £29.99 Zara.
- I buy a pair of gold ballet pumps every summer and wear them almost every day. They go with everything and I don’t see why these Gold ballet pumps from £28 Boden won’t do the same for mini fashionistas!
- As much as I love Cashmere I do think it’s a little much for kids – too high maintenance! But a supply of soft fine knitted cardigans, jumpers and even knitted dresses are a must for layering. Stick to neutrals like navy, camel and this grey Fine knit cardigan £4.99 H&M and they can be thrown over any look.
- One White T-shirt £2 Mothercare is actually not enough – I would say buy a stack. This one is my favourite – great price, washes like a dream and a good boxy shape. Whatever I put Miss Marnie in I almost always reach for a white tee and just get over the stains about to dropped down it!
- A white shirt – it gets mentioned all the time in fashion features, shoots, style tips etc. – and the trick is the find a well cut, crisp style (often in the men’s department) and wear it in. For little girls how about this pretty Blouse £35 Cyrillus at La Redoute. As a topper for jeans or cargo pants, or worn under a cardi with a skirt – it’s the dressier version of the staple white t-shirt (as above).
- Cargo’s (or even some chino’s) are a lighter alternative to jeans and go with all the tops and shoes listed here – and that’s what makes them an instant classic. Cargo pants £11.99 Gap
Love, love, love. LOVE IT! B….can you be my stylist?! x
Ha ha..Thanks Cool Bananas for your kind comments. When do you want to go shopping????
Shopping? that sounds like a mighty fine idea….chances would be a fine thing with my crazy bear!! xx
Gorgeous style, so chic! Thanks for linking up to #fashionfriday
I love #fashionfriday link up and always seem to do my fashion posts then anyway- so the perfect pairing.