When Miss Marnie reached 6 months it was such a fun time. So much seemed to happen at once – from sitting up to weaning, her first tooth and really seeming to be aware of her surroundings. Although, I love the fact that she walking now there is something to be said for when they are happy to sit, play and not move – at least you know where they are at all times!
Miss Marnie loves music – making the Leapfrog table a great buy. We managed to get this on eBay for half the original price. There really is so many good toys to be found second hand.
I used to think this was a bit mean to buy her used toys – but when you start to realise that they play with them for such short periods it makes sense. And, of course this is the same for everyone so second-hand toys are hardly used really.
We also invested in the Rainforest Jumperoo – all my NCT mamas were talking and raving about it – it seemed only fair that Miss Marnie had one too! The power of ‘mamas’ eh? They’re expensive but I think it really helped Miss M with her balance and standing.
Although, Mr VIB started singing the Milky Bar Kid song to the tune it plays when being bounced – and, then we could never get it out of our head! (And, sorry now neither will you!).
Ok, so here goes. Fab and classic toys and educational aids for 6 – 12 month old’s:
1. Learn & Groove Musical Table from Leapfrog at Amazon – With singing, music, numbers, alphabet and shapes – this is a great play-while-learning toy. The legs detach meaning baby can play with it on the floor too (and making it great for storage/travel!) Miss Marnie loved this when she was first standing as she could hold onto it and shuffle her way around. I think this particular style is hard to find now as Leapfrog have an updated version but it’s worth looking on eBay for this classic style.
2. Pop N’ Sing Apple from VTech – Press the heart shape and baby will get a surprise – a popping, light up worm. This drove Miss Marnie and me crazy for very different reasons!
3. Safari Pop-Up Animals from Mothercare – This is just one version of various pop-up animal toys – there are lots of different styles. The most important thing is that the button is easy to press, the pop-up is fast and that they don’t get stuck (like the many you will encounter at soft play groups!)
4. Stacking Cups from Marks & Spencer – I love that these are bright colours and have bold number designs on – needless to say whenever we are stacking this up there was always one missing (to be found under the sofa usually!)
5. Wooden My first 5 in 1 Activity Cube from EverEarth – A lovely wooden learning cube (I do love a classic wooden toy!) It will keep baby happy for hours. These are an investment buy – but they are sturdy and will last for years.
6. Bendy Bug Highchair Toy from Lamaze – Mr VIB named him Alan – as he was convinced he was a Alien rather than a bug. So, ever since Miss Marnie started weaning Alan the Alien has provided much entertainment at mealtimes. She swatted and rattled him until his sucker could take no more and he fell on the floor (usually on our poor cat Pinto’s head!)
7. Rainforest Jumperoo from Fisher Price – Once Miss Marnie could hold her head – this all singing and jumping bouncer came into its own. With toys overhead, an activity tray and music and animal sounds – it delights for hours. Ideal to for mamas who quickly need to pop to the loo/open the front door/ get dressed. Numerous times I placed Miss M in this outside the bathroom door while I took a speedy shower. Worth looking for second hand – they are always at nearly new sales – as again it has a bit of a lifespan because once they’re more wiggly they want to climb out.
|Alan even came to Pizza Express with us!|
|When Miss Marnie first went in this we placed a soft toy under
her feet as she couldn’t reach the floor and therefore ‘jump’!
** Look out for my classic toy picks for toddlers aged 12 months + …Read more HERE Or, take a look back at the top classic buys for newborn – 6 month olds HERE