One thing I noticed once I started to buy toys and learning aids for Miss Marnie is you seem to instinctively head towards the ‘classics’ – toys that have stood the test of time and continue to be popular even now.
And, without even really trying they seem to be the same items your fellow mama friends have too – something to be said for that.
At one point all 7 of my NCT friends and I had the Lamaze Firefly hanging from our buggy’s that we looked like we were a baby group on tour!
Here is my pick of the classic toys for newborns to 6months – as agreed by me, my mamas friends and the ones I’ve spotted at our local soft play and children’s centres:
1. Rock-a-Stack from Fisher Price – although this toy says 6mths + we think the soft rings are great for small hands when baby is first sitting or doing tummy time
2. Activity Triangle from Early Learning Centre – Ideal for tummy time and hand/eye co-ordination.
3. Play & Grow Freddie the Firefly by Lamaze – Colourful, sensory and soft – Freddie will hang on your buggy, cot or car seat (he really doesn’t mind!)
4. Take Along Tiger toy bar from Bright Starts at Boots – The perfect car seat and buggy toy – you Velcro it on for ease and it has just enough noise and light to entertain babies when out and about.
5. Sensory Linky Loops from Early Learning Centre – The beauty of these is they can be used together or separately and the different textures make them perfect for teething babes.
6. Garden bug wrist rattles and foot finders by Lamaze – These are brilliant for newborns as they make a very faint rattle sound and are great for when they’re first grabbing their feet. Miss Marnie really loved hers.
7. Sophie la Girafe Rubber Teether from Sophie La Giraffe – I would be very surprised if any mum didn’t have this! This natural rubber teether has been around for over 50 years. Just don’t put her in the dishwater or steriliser as she will lose her squeak (as a mama friend discovered to much dismay.)
** For classic toys for babies 6-12 months read more HERE
** For classic toys for babies 1 year + read more HERE